Sunday, December 19, 2010

No, we don't have any names yet.

Other than, "do you know if it's a boy or a girl yet?" "do you have names for the baby yet?" is the next most asked question.

We don't. 

It feels way too early.  Actually I don't think we'll have it narrowed down fully until after birth.  I kind of want to meet the baby before I name it, it doesn't seem right to name something that you haven't seen yet.  There is moderate possibility that we won't even begin the name searching until after the birth.  We are kind of procrastinators.  I'm pretty sure we'll be buying baby essentials when I'm in my ninth month.  We'll probably have a stop at Target on the way home from the hospital. 

If our wedding is anything to compare this too, we won't be totally prepared until the last moment.  Less than two weeks before our wedding is when we actually got our vows figured out and started writing our toasts.  Actually my toast was going to be much more thought up and I planned on saying much more, but a few days before the wedding all I had written down were a few bullet points:

-Thank guests
-Thank friends (especially Manda)
-Thank wedding party
-Thank Brent's family
-Thank my family

That's it.  I ended up leaving out a lot of stuff I wanted to say.  Oh well, we were still married and the guests had a good time even if some of them weren't as thoroughly included in my toast as I would have liked.  For instance many people who came to our wedding were people I hadn't seen in a long time and I wanted them to know I really appreciated the fact that they came anyway. 

So you can see how I'm pretty sure our baby will be Baby Girl or Baby Boy for a couple days. 

The most I've done so far is underlined about 50 names in the "Cool Names for Baby" book.  50 names is hardly a narrowing down.  I could list them all, but we might not even pick from that list.  All I know is the name will be a name, not something we make up, and it will be unique.  It will make half of you go, "what???" and the other half of you go, "that's awesome!!!" 

The rule of saying your baby's name as "President of the United States [baby's name here]" to make sure it will be a good one, does not work for us.  So instead I plan on saying, "great revolutionary leader [baby's name here]."  If it sounds right, then I know we will have a winner. 

2 comments:

  1. Can we start a list of names you know you *don't* like? That will be just as unhelpful, but also fun. I'm going to put forth the following suggestions for what not to call the forthcoming person:


    Tiffany
    Stephanie
    Neveah
    Jennifer


    Yeah, that's it for now. But I have *tons* of ideas for things *not* to name baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those lose because they are all too common, I mean I know way too many Jen's and Jenny's.

    I'm also kind of sick of the ultra modern names like Kaylee. Kaylee? Does it even have a meaning? Or when people just spell stuff creatively like Staci and Krystin. Gah! Way to make yourselves look dumb.

    ReplyDelete