Saturday, January 29, 2011

Rub her back and for God's sake, don't forget about the towels!

I'm hoping this is all from the pregnancy hormones. 

Today started out OK.  I made banana, peanut butter pancakes; they were good.  I commented to Brent that the towels still hadn't been brought up from the basement.  This is somewhat of a long story.  I asked him to do this a couple weeks ago, and he did, except the towels were still wet.  So I sent him and the towels back downstairs to put them in for another half hour.  Then we both forgot about them.  Until we ran out of towels about a week ago and I said, "hey, whatever happened to those towels I asked you to bring up?"  "Oh yeah, they are down there still, in a basket."  Said Brent.  "Can you get them please?"  Then again we both forgot about them and a day or two would pass and I would remember them again, and ask him to bring them up, until today, when I completely lost it. 

It built up slowly, first as an annoyance, but soon it was a full-blown crying episode where I felt completely betrayed by Brent over... towels.  "What is it with the towels?  Did I not ask nice enough?  Are you afraid I will criticize how you bring up the towels?  Do you think washing towels is ridiculous, so if I want clean towels, I have to do all the work?  What?"  His explanation was simply, "it didn't seem that urgent."  Which is true, clearly our lives continued for two whole weeks without any clean towels.  So this just made me feel even crazier. Plus it wasn't that I couldn't go get the towels myself, it's just that at this point it's safer for him to be hauling a basket up two flights of stairs, and I asked him nicely and he never said he wouldn't do it.  Had he said, "no, I'm not getting the towels!  You get them," it would be different and we would have a completely different problem, but he never said no. 

We decided a walk around the Mall of America was what I needed, and we even did some shopping for a couple maternity pants.  Exercise is good, it made me feel high for a little bit.  All those endorphins.  Then we got frozen yogurt.  I thought I would be safe with frozen yogurt, and only adding nuts and fruit as toppings, but it gave me this nasty sugar high followed by a fall full of anxiety.  I have experienced this before during pregnancy, and it's always after I eat something full of sugar.  Sugar just affects me more strongly right now.  Hopefully I'm not coming down with gestational diabetes. 

Which is another thing, why does the test for gestational diabetes involve drinking a sugar-filled beverage?  I really, really, don't want to drink that crap.  I know I will feel like crap after.  I'm hoping there is some other way to test it, because I just might skip it out of fear. 

I had some candy before leaving work the other day and was expecting Brent to be home, and when he wasn't, I lost it again, and locked myself in the bathroom before calling him.  I blamed the sugar on it, I was high and anxious.  I also blame the pregnancy hormones. 

So, although these episodes have been few and far between, I'm definitely feeling a bit more crazy sometimes, I hope it doesn't get worse.  Our baby boy will be most susceptible to my stress chemicals in the third trimester and can get stressed himself.  So, I need to find a balance of food and back rubs that will keep me more calm.  We're heading to Miami next weekend and going on a short cruise, so that should help too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment