Monday, November 22, 2010

I'd do a home birth if my home was any good.

I guess for most of my life I assumed that everyone was born in a hospital, unless you didn't have access to health care.  Turns out a lot of people give birth at home.  Worldwide I mean, we do everything different in the US. 

My niece was born at home in a birthing tub and she turned out fine.  But Brent has made it clear that he thinks the hospital is best.  Actually, although I love the idea of being at home and relaxed and having a totally natural birth, I am really scared that something will go wrong.  So I have chosen to have a birth with a midwife in a hospital.  The hospital I've chosen also offers water births, which have made sense to me for years. 

I also want to do this unmedicated.  Really, how painful can it be?  I feel like I've been through a lot of pain in my life, birth lasts about a day, I can handle a day of pain.  I've had ovarian cysts and migraines.  And nothing can be worse than the seven weeks of non-stop nausea I'm just getting over. 

So when I was only 6 weeks pregnant, we toured our future birthing place.  You meet in the lobby of the hospital and the midwife tells you how unpregnant you look.  We toured the center with a very tall couple who were about 3 months farther along than us, but still not showing.  "They will have gigantic kids," was all I could think when looking at them.  Then we went up to the birthing center.  I must admit, this place is better than my home.  The birthing rooms are about as big as our bedroom and living room combined.  We live in just over 900 square feet of upstairs duplex with plastic flooring and plastic doors and no central air. 

I don't want to give birth in my home, my home sucks. 

I guess I'm willing to give up a little flexibility for a big room dedicated to labor, delivery, and recovery.   Plus the majority of my family has had unmedicated hospital births; it is possible; and our particular birthing place has one of the lowest C-section rates in the nation. 

Birth can't possibly be worse than going through surgery on your uterus and having to recover from that.  That sounds worse to me than pushing an 8 pound baby out of my cooter.  Also, I have yet to hear a positive epidural story.  My aunt, who is a big cheese at a hospital, says you don't want one of those.  I haven't heard the details of her reasoning, but I trust her. 

Maybe for my second child, after seeing how birth goes on the first, and possibly having a better home, I will try a home birth, though I will have to deal with a protesting husband, mother, father, grandparents, friends, and just about anyone I tell my plan to. 

4 comments:

  1. One of the perks of a hospital birth is that if you change your mind about wanting pain meds, they'll have them there for you. Its okay if you want to do birth without drugs and its okay if you want to do birth -with- drugs. I loved my epidural :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Technically during a home birth you can change your mind too and get your ass to a hospital, but I guess chances would be higher that it would be too late. Any good home birther has a back-up hospital she's registered at too.

    I hope to avoid any labor-inducing drugs, which make labor more painful, and usually lead to an epidural because it hurts so much. Here's hoping for a labor that progresses as it should.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the hospital you are probably going to is where my dear friend Alakhi had her baby. It was a great experience over all and she had her daughter in the tub, which they normally do not do. The midwife was nervous about the baby coming the the water and snipped the cord too soon, but that was the only thing that happened un-planned. It was a really nice room also, lots of windows and cozy. -Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right now the plan is HCMC. They have two birthing tubs available there.

    ReplyDelete