Sunday, December 30, 2012

Picking a Date, Changing it Many Times

Still making decisions on the potty training.  Something amazing changed suddenly.  Just like 6 weeks ago changing diapers was hell.  But suddenly Cedric has relaxed and will lay down when asked and be still for the majority of the diaper change.  It's like he was like, "I heard you were thinking of potty training, well, screw that I'll just get compliant with the diaper changes." 

I actually see this as a sign he is getting ready to be able to potty train more easily.  Difficulty with diaper changes completely coinsided with difficulty in elimination communication (EC). 

EC was easy to give up on, but you can't give up on diaper changes so easily.   I hid the little potty and potty insert and we completely stopped doing an EC because it had really completely stopped working.  I have mixed feeling about this.  I know I could have done more with it, but I did it in earnest for a year and had some good times and some bad times and I'm still glad I did it. 

It's more hard because I got so much judgement for doing EC from people and now I fear they are looking at me and going, "see, ha ha, you FAILED at EC.  You shouldn't have done it."  Even though I don't feel I failed at EC, I just didn't stick with it to completetion, we just didn't reach potty independance with EC.  And, for now, that is totally OK with me. 

My son's pee is much more consolidated now, still dry through the night most nights, peeing a lot in the morning, less at night, and down to one poop a day that you never know is coming.  He also seems like he understands a lot more. 

My two biggest hang ups for actually starting a real potty training are his ability to get his own pants down and his ability to say something like, "I need to pee, mama."  I think he's totally capable of these things, though the comunication would be more like, "pee pee!" rather than a whole sentance.  He just need practise and I'm not sure how much

We just have to find the time now.  I have a bunch of work trainings coming up.  I really want a solid week where we don't need any child care, just to DO THIS FOR REALZ!  And in reality "potty" will be on our minds for a few months. 

Definitely want this to be all done before we possibly go to China in July, so April is looking to be the absolute latest I'm willing to put this off.  He's 19 months now and 3 pounds away from being too big for his medium-sized prefolds, and no way in hell am I going to go buy XL prefolds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment