Saturday, March 19, 2011

I married a white guy.

The fact that I am currently married to and procreating with a white man might not sound like such a weird thing to you.  But to me, it's still weird.  Don't get me wrong, I am super in love with this man, and wouldn't trade him in for anyone, expect maybe Hugh Grant or Justin Timberlake, and they would have to put up front a good deal of money before I made the switch, and I would probably later regret it. 

But do you know what this means?  Our kids are going to be white.  Like super white, like the kind of kids you get when two white people mate.  White.  And we're from the Northern and Western European variety, we can't even claim to be Mediterranean.  We're mostly from the British Isles and Scandinavia, with possibly some German and Polish mixed in there.  Brent has brown hair and hazel eyes, that's about as weird as we get. 

This is a strange phenomenon to me because for many years I always pictured having mixed race kids because I wasn't ever dating a white guy.  I mean, I dated white guys, but only for a few weeks here and there.  All my longer term relationships were with Asians and Latinos.  I pictured how cute the mixing of our races would look like if we ever had kids.  I got annoyed when people poo pooed adopting from foreign countries because their kids wouldn't look like them.  I thought, "my kids will be Mexican, they probably won't look like me!"  I felt the race of the man I was dating didn't matter, and time showed me that it didn't. 

Then along came Brent, a white guy, whose race didn't matter to me, and I ended up marrying him and am now knocked up with his white baby.  A boring white baby.  I'm sure this thought doesn't cross many mother's minds, but it sure crosses mine.  Thank God I never had a baby with any of my exes, that would have been a bigger disaster, even though I'd have a cute, mixed-race, child right now.  But a part of me feels a bit of a loss over this only because it was such a big part of my future world view for so long.  I was going to be an awesome mother to my mixed-race babies and make sure no one treated them differently just because they had darker skin. 

But now I'm not only having a white kid, I'm having a white, male baby.  I'm going to be raising the most privileged member of our society if you only look at race and sex.  Obviously class plays an enormous part too, and we certainly aren't rich. 

I feel like I'm getting off easy after years of thinking about how the world would view my mixed-race marriage and children.  Who knew I would end up with a white man raising white babies?

1 comment:

  1. If you haven't already, you should read http://loveisntenough.com/2009/08/05/white-noise-white-adults-raising-white-children-to-resist-white-supremacy/

    It's funny that you said "boring white baby" because we have thought that when ordering white sperm. But then I get uncomfortable with the way we might be exoticizing a mixed-race baby.

    ReplyDelete